Police To Record ACA D-G's Statement Over Allegations
KUALA LUMPUR, March 1 (Bernama) -- Police will summon Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) Director-General Datuk Zulkipli Mat Noor to record his statement over allegations of corruption, having business interests and sexual misconduct levelled at him.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan told Bernama that Zulkipli would be called soon together with all witnesses and police officers who had investigated the cases.
Meanwhile, Deputy Internal Security Minister Datuk Fu Ah Kiow said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi who is on an official visit abroad, had been informed of the allegations.
Commenting on the developments, Zulkipli told Bernama that he was ready to give explanation and furnish evidence against the claims.
"I have the confidence and courage to face the problem because I believe in God and only a person with guilt needs to be afraid," he said.
Zulkipli said he was ready to explain to the prime minister if ordered to do so and appear before the Parliamentary Special Committee on March 12 with detailed evidence.
"I don't want to be emotional over the matter. Instead, I still do the job as usual as the director-general and conduct daily meetings with my staff," he said and urged all quarters not to make speculations about him.
Musa said a special team had been set up to re-examine the sexual allegation based on a police report lodged by a businesswoman in July 1997 at the Cheras station.
The woman alleged that Zulkipli had hit her for refusing to have sex with him. Earlier in Seremban, Musa told reporters that the police would also open an investigation paper to find out whether Zulkipli had declared his assets and was involved in business.
The allegations against Zulkipli surfaced after a movement who call themselves "Gerakan Demokrasi dan Anti Korupsi" (Democracy and Anti Corruption Movement or Gerak), posted in a local blog a claim by senior ACA officer Mohamad Ramli Manan, who retired on Dec 8 last year, that Zulkipli possessed assets beyond his means.
Zulkipli is alleged to have interests in various businesses and own properties including six houses in Pagoh, Johor, and misused government vehicles. Before assuming the post of ACA director-general in 2001, he served with the Royal Malaysia Police for 20 years including as Johor chief police officer and Sarawak police commissioner.
His term as the ACA director-general has been extended three times.
Fu said Musa and the Attorney-General's Chamber had informed the Internal Security Ministry about the allegations and whether Zulkipli's service would be suspended or terminated depended on the outcome of the investigation. Any decision on Zulkipli's position rested with the prime minister, he said.
"The prime minister has been informed of the matter and he views it as serious," he said.
Meanwhile, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Nazri Abdul Aziz said Zulkipli was not guilty of any crime until he had been proven so by the court.
In the meantime, Zulkipli would continue to head the ACA, which is under the Prime Minister's Department, he said. "The law in our country says he is innocent until proven guilty. So, there is no need for us to suspend him from his duties or ask him to step down," he told Bernama.
Yesterday, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Tan Sri Bernard Dompok said Zulkipli and those who testified against him would be asked to appear before the Parliamentary Select Committee on Integrity on March 12. Dompok who heads the 12-member committee, said the committee would determine whether the allegations involved elements of integrity and if so, submit the necessary recommendation to Parliament.-- BERNAMA